Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pomegranate and Pine Nut Tuna Salad











It's pomegranate season! I remember the first time my husband and I tried a pomegranate. They were on sale, so we thought what the heck? We'll give it a shot. Shortly thereafter, pomegranate juice was splattered all over my husband's shirt and the walls of our little apartment. It looked like a bad version of a mock crime scene. After lots of scrubbing and cleaning and a permanently stained shirt, we swore off pomegranates for years. Finally, a friend clued me in to a great tip for opening pomegranates. Follow the link to this video.

Now that opening a pomegranate is no longer an ordeal, all I have to say is YUM! This unusual fruit adds a unique spin to many different foods. Most recently I decided to try pomegranate in tuna salad. A little weird I know, but soooooooo good!

Here my recipe for Pomegranate and Pine Nut Tuna Salad:





Two cans of albacore tuna in water, drained




2-3 heaping Tablespoons of mayo (add more or less to make it the moistness and consistency you prefer)


1 1/2 Tablespoons of pine nuts


seeds from half a pomegranate



1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)


1/2 teaspoon of pepper (or to taste)


Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve on sliced bread or with crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment